About commercial solid core wood doors
Solid core wood doors are widely used in commercial door applications of all types. Commercial wooden doors are used in hotels, office buildings, schools, public buildings, restaurants, retail centers and businesses across the globe. Commercial wooden doors can be supplied with factory stained finishes, unfinished or paintable. Fire rated wood doors can range from 20 minute to 90 minute ratings depending on the core construction or other manufacturing options. A wide variety of custom or standard wood species are usually available from most suppliers.
Standard Core Options:
- PC Core: Standard particleboard core, non-rated to 20 minute fire rated
- SCL Core: Structural Composite Lumber Core, non-rated to 20 minute fire rated
- STV Core: Stave Lumber Core, non-rated to 20 minute fire rated
- Mineral Core: Fire resistant mineral core, 45 minute to 90 minute fire ratings.
- Rotary Cut Natural Birch: May include combinations of heartwood and sapwood with natural color variations. Bold and random grain appearance. Looks best with medium to dark finishes.
- Rotary Cut White Birch: Consistent select grain and light color. Looks exceptional with clear or light color finishes. Random and unique grain appearances.
- Plain Sliced White Birch: High quality architectural wood grain with a combination of cathedral and straight grain patterns to create a natural look. Light in color. Best for clear or lighter shades of stain.
- Plain Sliced Red Oak: Natural oak wood grain. Pink to red color tone.
- Plain Sliced White Oak: High quality natural wood grain. Light in color. Looks best with a clear or light colored finish.
- Plain Sliced White Maple: Soft natural wood grain. Light in color. Looks best with a clear or light colored finish.
- Plain Sliced Cherry: Pink to red in color. Looks best with a clear, light and dark colored finish.
- Plain Sliced African Mahogany: Dark in color, elegant wood grain.
- Primed Hardboard: White primer for painting.
- Paint Grade Birch: A-B grade birch great for painting. Not recommended for staining.
- Paint Grade Oak: A-B grade birch great for painting. Not recommended for staining.
- Legacy Textured Hardboard: Factory finished textured hardboard. Legacy Walnut, Oak or white primed.
Commercial wood doors are available with factory hardware prep for almost any commercial door hardware type. Common hardware prep options include 161 cylindrical lock prep, 86 mortise lock prep, card reader prep, RFID lock prep, deadbolt prep, flush bolt prep, etc. Solid core wood doors are available with internal reinforcements for surface mounted closers, panic bars and lock sets. All fire rated commercial wood doors must be machined for hardware by the factory. If the door is not machined for hardware a fire rated label cannot be applied.
Integral wood lite kits with matching glass stops can be used only in non-fire rated applications. Steel vision lite frames are required in all fire rated applications. Glass options typically include clear tempered glass, safety wire glass or ceramic glass.
Commercial wooden doors are preferred for their high quality architectural appearances, durability, longevity, availability and design flexibility. Solid core commercial wood doors can be fire rated, meet FSC or LEED requirements, meet STC sound transmission control requirements and can be prepped to fit new or existing frames and hardware. Flush wood commercial doors are one of the most widely used commercial door types because of their appearance, durability and versatility.